I. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
The Construction Manager (hereinafter referred to as “Manager”) is responsible for the management of design, construction, permitting, inspection and completion of base building construction, capital improvements, major repairs and tenant improvement construction in the commercial properties developed or managed by Akridge as well as third-party construction management work. The Manager will be a member of Akridge’s Development Department and will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Development in general, and to the Development Manager in charge of the respective projects undergoing construction.
II. GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS
The Manager will be responsible for all phases of construction management for assigned development projects. The Manager is required to interface with personalities at all levels and in all areas of the commercial real estate industry. Excellent business communication skills, both oral and written, are necessary. The ability to manage multiple projects is mandatory. Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple concurrent deadlines are necessary. The ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering construction documents and a strong working knowledge of MS Office and MS Project is necessary. BS in related field and a minimum of five years relevant experience required. LEED Accreditation preferred.
III. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with development and acquisition teams to provide construction feasibility analysis of proposed projects. This will include coordinating preliminary architectural designs, procuring schematic pricing from multiple general contractors and specialty contractors as necessary, generating overall project schedules, etc.
2. Procure and negotiate, in coordination with Development Manager, all contracts relating to the design and construction of the base building work (architectural contracts, engineering contracts, etc.). The Manager shall produce clear bid instructions with which to invite consultants and contractors to bid on each project. As necessary, conduct design competitions for architectural designs. Upon receipt of the bids, analyze and prepare a comparative summary to review the bids and scope in addition to making a recommendation to Development Manager of which consultant or contractor to award contract.
3. Under direction of Development Manager, coordinate with architects and engineers to complete the working drawings and specifications for base building plans. Review all drawings and ensure JAMCO Engineers’ timely and comprehensive review and ensure compliance with Akridge Standards. Provide architects and engineers with comments.
4. Review and approve for payment all design and construction invoices. Coordinate with accounting department and Development Manager to keep records up to date.
5. Prepare written monthly status reports on design progress to be included in monthly investor reports.
6. Responsible for procuring on a timely basis all building permits, certificates of occupancy, utility activations, etc.
7. Review drawings prior to the start of construction with both the architect and general contractor to make sure the drawings are clear and complete to ensure there are a minimum of errors and corrections during construction.
8. Upon receipt of the bids, analyze and prepare a comparative summary to review the bids and scope in addition to making a recommendation of which contractor to award each construction project. Manager will coordinate the negotiation of the GMP contract with selected General Contractor.
9. Obtain all the necessary documents such as certificates of insurance and lien waivers prior to start of construction
1. Manager is the lead interface with the general contractor, architect, engineer, property manager, JAMCO engineer, and owner/investor on all aspects of construction. The Manager will visit the job site on a regular basis to ensure the construction is of excellent quality, being completed on schedule, and that the job site is being kept in a neat and safe condition. The Manager must attend all construction progress meetings and ensure meeting minutes are generated accurately and distributed correctly.
2. Track and update development cost budgets with the Project Accountant and Development Manager.
3. Other Duties will include:
-Schedule and conduct project status meetings for procedures, progress and scheduling.
- Review, approve and process for payment all applications and invoices for all parties.
-Review requests for changes, assist in negotiating proposals for changes and submit recommendation to Client.
-Review and process all project submittals, RFI’s, and change requests.
-Coordinate utility connections to the site and all permitting.
-Ensure smooth transition of projects from construction to operations.
-Collect and deliver all required project close-out submittals and documentation.
-Coordinate the Contractor’s final testing and start-up of utilities, operational systems and equipment.
-Coordinate and schedule project completion punch list inspections
-Assist Architect in conducting inspections to determine whether the Contractor’s work is substantially complete.
-Coordinate the correction and completion of items on the punch lists and assist the Architect in conducting the final inspections.
-Secure all warranties and similar submittals and ensure delivery of all keys, manuals, record drawings and maintenance stocks and all close-out documentation.
-Obtain Certificates of Insurance from Contractor, Subcontractors’, etc.
-Coordinate Client buildouts and base building construction.
-Coordinate all contractor close outs, certificates of occupancy, certificates of substantial completion, etc.